Childhood is an intense period of physical, emotional, social, and intellectual growth and at times our children may become stressed. The Be You YOGA Children’s Classes have been specifically designed for children and are conducted in a non-competitive environment at the Be You YOGA Studio. Yoga may improve academic performance, self-esteem, classroom behaviours, concentration, and emotional balance. In that way, Yoga offers a way for students to reconnect their bodies with their minds. Another aspect of yoga that is beneficial for children is the practice of self-awareness. Yoga fosters self-acceptance and even helps develop self-compassion and compassion for others.
Yoga may influence children differently according to their age group:
- For young students (4–6 years) yoga can create a framework for total body movement and gross motor development. By incorporating games, storytelling and songs Yoga allows this age group to connect with the energy of the poses and philosophy of the practice.
- Children aged 7–9 years benefit from yoga by building on their gross motor skills while taking on challenges in strength, agility, and endurance, as well as cooperation.
- Benefits for those coming into adolescence (10–12 years) include creating a safe place to thrive and develop confidence, while their bodies experience amazing changes and their connections to social peers strengthen.
Benefits of Yoga after each class
- Improves brain oxygenation
- Improves breathing
- Improves flexibility
- Lessen stress
Benefits of Yoga after 6 months of practice
- Reduce high blood pressure
- Improves pulmonary capacity
- Experiencing calm and inner peace
- Lessen back pain, headaches, sore neck, sore shoulders, sore hips
- Reduce anxiety
- Reduce sugar levels in blood
- Improves balance
Benefits of Yoga after 2 years of practice
- Promote strong bones
- Regulation of weight
- Reduction of risk of cardiac disease